Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Don't Get It

We arrived in New Jersey on Tuesday the 12th and are squatting in the Elks Club parking lot.  So much better than Wal-Mart.  I mean, don't get me wrong...God Bless Wal-Mart...but if you want a quieter spot without a lot of traffic, the Elks Clubs are great.

On Wednesday we met up with some friends who live in Somerset, New Jersey.  They came by the motorhome then we go to their house for dinner and some games.  After making plans for the following day Karl and I return to our "home away from home".

On Thursday The Hildebrands pick us up and we drive into the city for the day.  What city?  Why New York City of course.  Now to me, a girl who grew up in the country without a lot of people, or cars, or noise, this is a major getting used to.  When we were here a couple of years ago we went into the city then also.  Now I need to remind you that I grew up in New York State and lived there for 18 years before I ventured out on my own.  Not once did I ever go into the city nor did I ever want to.  So here I was, 55 years old, and an out-of-towner had to take me into the city for the first time!  Now I've been there twice.  But I don't get it.  How can anybody like a city, any city?  Too many cars, too many people, too much noise, too much of everything!  The wife, Joy, is from the Seattle area and absolutely LOVES NYC with a passion.  Her husband, Gary, is from New Jersey so he's okay with it.  In fact they both drive in that madhouse without a second thought!  Me?  I'll stay out in the country where I can hear and see nature.  Sure, it may be a slower pace of life, but I'm in not hurry anyway.

We plan on leaving tomorrow and the weather forecasters have forecast a nor'easter is coming in which means rain and wind (again).  Oh, well, at least it was nice while we were parked.  We plan on staying in VA for about 4 nights with an option to stay longer depending on how much we want to see.  I used to work in Washington D.C., so I would visit lots of places while I lived and worked there.  Unfortunately I haven't been a "tourist" there for a very long time (probably over 20 years) and I wanted to see things that have been added to our nation's capital.  Plus I have this annoying brother-in-law that keeps wanting me to visit them (LOL - just kidding Dave!  Love you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment