Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Canada 4

On Monday we ended up in Brandon, Manitoba, the 2nd largest city in Manitoba with a population of 50k, which was a short drive from Regina.  That was good because laundry really needed to be done.  But during lunch with a couple of Blue Knights (gee, surprise) one mentioned that there was a great WWII museum to visit.  Those of you who know me know my philosophy - you've seen one airplane, you've seen them all.  So with my blessing I told Karl to go visit and have fun while I washed clothes.  When he returned I asked him to be a guest blogger and let you all know what he saw.  His response?  And I quote - "What?  It's a WWII museum with WWII stuff.  That's all."  So I guess if you would like to know what he saw I guess you'll have to ask him

Today we made Winnipeg and will be here for the next 3 days.  After we set the MH up we set off to visit The Manitoba Museum which was very well done.  It took you on a journey from the beginning of Manitoba to present and future.  It incorporated pictures, artifacts, relics, dioramas and replicas.  The most impressive display was a 58' replica of the Nonsuch Ketch that sailed to and from England for the Hudson Bay Trading Company.  On the upcoming 300th birthday of the Hudson Bay Company in 1969, they had this replica built in Seattle, trucked overland to Manitoba and sailed her in and around Canada and upper United States.  It was manned by 12 crew and one of the crew was on the ketch while we were there to give us information about the Nonsuch.  The display of the Ketch and the facades of buildings around it reminded me of Disneyland - "Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment