Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Freeway Cat, Refrigerated Crab and United Airlines

Title sounds intriguing, huh?

For those who have followed this travel log they will notice a common occurrence when we get ready to start a trip.  For those who haven't followed until recently, take a quick tour of previous blogs and you will see what I mean.

After our great 4th of July holiday up at Donner Lake we returned home (California) on the 5th and were there until the 10th.  At that time Karl flew back up to WA to attend his 49th high school reunion and I flew out to NY because my mom "requested" a command appearance from my sister and I.  So off we both went, but before I left I was smart and started to put together my clothes that I would need for our motorcycle trip that was starting on the 16th.  I was to return home on the 14th which gave me only a day to finish packing and get ready for our next adventure.  Karl got to WA, I got to NY and not problems occurred.  Now is when the trip monster reared it's ugly head.  Remember that whenever we get ready to travel, no matter what mode of travel, something ALWAYS happens.  This time it happened to me only.  My niece, her daughter and I were all leaving  NY within an hour of each other - her and baby back to GA and me back to CA.  So I get to my gate, sit down and pull out my computer.  I had an hour to wait so I was going to play awhile.  After about 15 minutes I hear a PA announcement but didn't pay much mind until I heard it repeated about my flight that was supposed to arrive within 45 minutes.  They announced that the plane (which was coming from Chicago) was still stuck there because of mechanical problems and wouldn't arrive until 8:30pm.  What??!!  But I was to catch my connecting flight in Chicago at 8:05pm!  Well, that wasn't going to work.  So up to the counter I go and stand in line.  When I get to the agent I am told that all flights to the West Coast will have ended by the time I get there and I would have to spend the night in Chicago!  What could I do?  So I take the new flight - arrive in Chicago at 10pm, grab a hotel shuttle and go to the hotel that they gave me a voucher for.  BUT the next morning my flight will leave at 6AM!!!!  So I get to the hotel around 10:40, take a quick shower, set my alarm and crawl into bed around 11:15pm.  4am arrives really early.  I get down to the lobby at 4:30 to catch the 4:40 shuttle back to the airport and leave at 6am.  I finally arrive in CA at 11am and I still have to finish packing for our motorcycle trip which is now leaving the next day.  By 9pm I am have asleep on the couch.  Goodnight, Karl, I am off to bed.  Never did hear him come in.  Now the alarm goes off at 6am so we can be up and gone by 7:30am to meet a couple of other Blue Knights who will join us on our trip to Billings, MT.

Since we have left no problems have occurred except the heat in the desert.  We made Elko, NV. last night and were riding in about 100-103 degrees heat - BLAH!  Today wasn't as bad and we have arrived in Idaho Falls, ID for the night.  We will make Billings tomorrow late afternoon.  There we will sit until Fri morning.  I will update the blog as things progress. 

I guess I need to get used to the idea that whenever we leave to travel something will always happen to upset plans we have made and have a backup.  Or just smile, laugh and go with the flow! 

1 comment:

  1. you go girl!!! yall plow right on thru the felgercarb!!!!!

    ReplyDelete